- Cut 1 rectangle of fabric, 18” wide by width of fabric (approximately 45”)
- Cut 2 strips 4” wide by width of fabric
- Cut 1 of the 2 strips from step 2 in half to be 22”x4”
1. If the selvage of your fabric is different than the body of your fabric, cut off the selvages of the large apron piece. Fold them under ¼”, then ¼” again, and stitch the hem in place. If the selvages are the same (as they are in the photo), you can skip this step.
2. Fold under the bottom of the apron piece ¼”, then ¼” again and stitch the hem in place.
3. Sew a gathering stitch along the top of the apron piece, then pull the gathering stitch until the top of the apron piece measures 12-15” across the top.
4. Sew 1 of the 22” strips to the 45” strip along the 4” side.
5. Press the long strip under ¼” on both sides, then fold the strip in half and press in half.
6. Mark the center of the strip and the center of the apron piece (at the gathered top edge). Match the markings, then sandwich the apron piece inside the fold of the strip. Pin it in place all along the apron top. In this case, it really helps to use a LOT of pins!
7. Starting at one end of the apron ties, top-stitch the opening closed, securing the apron piece inside the ties in the center.